Lost in Translation

Such is the fate of all good advice.

By the time it gets to you, its usefulness will be rendered ineffective by the peculiarity of your particular problem.

Your significant other is different. Your financial condition is different. Your body is different. Your life history is different. Your parents are different. Your goals are different. Your fears are different. Your questions are different. Everything about you will always be different from the generalized nature of the advice you receive from others.

Personal growth is always personal. Just as no one can exercise for you, no one can do inner work for you. Just as no one can eat your meals for you, no one can answer your questions for you. Just as no one can go to sleep for you, no one can fulfill your dreams for you. 

10% of self-help involves acquiring new information. The other 90% involves the hard work of translating information into a language that speaks to the specificity of your life situation.

All good insight is lost in translation. It’s your job to find out what it means for you.

One thought on “Lost in Translation

  1. “Such is the fate of all good advice.”

    “By the time it gets to you, its usefulness will
    be rendered ineffective by the peculiarity of
    your particular problem.”

    Don’t fully agree with this. Renders many of your
    thoughtful posts pointless then, when they aren’t.

    Much generalized advice can be particularized to
    one’s personal context.

    Yes 10% information and 90% perspiration to
    paraphrase Edison. “Learn a little and go a lot.”
    to quote Zig Ziglar,

    To avoid doing the same thing over and over again,
    expecting different results. AND more vital, trying
    to solve a problem with the same mind that created
    it. (Einstein)

    Thinking of your post “Easy for Oprah to say” for those
    who missed the point of her advice when she’s living
    proof of it. And many other examples….

    There will always be those who reinvent the wheel
    unnecessarily or function like a lone wolf in the world
    not getting the benefit of other people and the vibrant
    exchange of ideas, or those who are just being obtuse.

    For the rest of us, advice comes in many forms and is
    often the agent for change.

    Thank you for your many thoughtful post T.K. and the
    gems of advice embedded in them . The daily readings
    have an accumulative positive impact.

    Happy New Year!

Please share your thoughts

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s